My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Monday, October 03, 2005

It's Over (For Real)

(I keep expanding this post... my wife says, "Aren't you in a rush to get out picketing? She's right, of course. Nevertheless...)

Wow... I couldn't wait up last night so found out about it this morning. Course we still have to ratify this puppy and I've seen few of the details. I'm picketing today; should be an interesting day on the line.

Thanks to the mediators for helping bring this to a conclusion.

I appreciate that there must have been a lot of hard work involved in wrapping this up and I don't want to rain anybody's parade, but gee, folks, the fact that we have come to an agreement means that it was possible to come to an agreement all along. Surely we could have done so without all of this nonsense. Please let's remember that the next time round.

My wife says, shouldn't you just be happy? She's right of course (doesn't she ever get tired of being right? Guess not...) She says maybe there wouldn't have been an agreement without this action. That may be the sad truth; if you liken it to World War Two, few would deny that that action was necessary. Unfortunate in the extreme, but necessary.

I'll continue this blog until ratification, then probably post my last post the day it's ratified (if it's ratified). I MAY... I say MAY.... reveal my ultra secret identity at that time, for the two and a half people that give a rat's ass. I've always been a little ashamed of the anonymity.

Or maybe not. Have to see the forgive and forget clause in the agreement, first.

In the meantime... see you on the line.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Agent 86 said...

And find a new gym. But don't stop to blog. You weren't as high profile as Tod, Robin, Ouimet or the Drone, but still a joy to read.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Laurence said...

I'm all over that too.
Work on your novel, sure...but post the occassional blog.
I think the book's going to be a killer now that you've toned up your 'writing muscles'.
And I owe you some music...and, perhaps, some tea.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with your wife on this one workerbee. And I never get tired of being right either.

Listen to Tod's interview with Arnold Amber. He states flat out that what was achieved at the negotiating table would not have happened without the "activity" from those locked out.

I also want to read the fine print, particularly on layoff/recall language. It seems clear our fight will better conditions for all temps (which, as a former contractor, was very important for me personally).

I'm still not seeing anything about seniority/layoff/recall. That concerns me a bit, so I'm cautiously celebrating.

However, I do know that had we NOT been on the streets, had the public not finally become engaged, had their been no political pressure to end this, and had that political pressure not started backfiring on CBC Management, we would not have the memo of agreement we have today.

Your wife is smart.

And I can't wait to find out who you are. I think we probably know each other. I've recognized a few little "style" things from stickies. Can't wait to find out if I'm right.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've been one of an handful of blogs i've read throughout.
you've been thoughtful and coherent when others have been reckless and foolish.
don't know who you are - just know, you're worth knowing.

12:30 PM  
Blogger AC@43 said...

yea ... congrats .. now you can dance .. oh wait .. now the waiting begins.

3:05 PM  
Blogger tv worker said...

nice work throughout and like some others, your blog was on my list of about 6 must reads. I'll buy you a beer next time. the hat guy

6:38 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

workerbee, it was a pleasure sharing the blogosphere with you. Please drop me a line at cmacdougATgmail.com so we can continue to keep in touch after all this is over. We bloggers should all have a reunion at a union event sometime.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We know who you are. I'm a manager on the other side of the bldg, and even *I* know who you are :-)

11:19 PM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Thanks everyone. Hmm... how could a manager know who I am? And what exactly does the "other side of the building" mean? Other side from what? It's a square, isn't it... is there a secret managerial "fifth" side we don't know about?

At any rate, everybody will know who I am soon enough. And if you do give a rat's ass, please send it parcel post to CBC Radio A&E, attention "Bee." Only authentic rat's asses, please.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Cold Feet said...

Hey Joe,

I'm going to hop the GO Train from Oakville to sit in on some of the information meetings and to vote.

Maybe we'll bump into each other. But in case we don't I'll try to make some sensible arragement for your little package of dried caribou goodness. Maybe I'll leave it with some trustworthy-looking CMG-type person.

In any case, I'll send you another post once I've made the drop.

Joanne Stassen (whose feet are not so cold these days.)

1:39 PM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Hi Joanne,

That's very kind! I misinterpreted the vote date and went down today... which unfortunately means that I won't be able to go down tomorrow (family committments). If you can find Anton Szabo he would be perfect to pass it on to me, and all the union folks will know who he is.

I can't believe you actually brought some down. I look forward to trying it!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home