My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Farewell

It's a lockout blog and the lockout is over. So I will be winding down this blog. I'll start another blog elsewhere soon, though. It'll be a more personal blog, dwelling rather more on fiction writing, which is the kind of writing I do when I'm not blogging every day. If you drop back later I'll have a link up. Hopefully. If I ever get around to it. Please feel free to drop by. Although I won't be offended if it's not your cup of tea.

This is my "farewell lockout post," and it goes something like this:

Congratulations to our negotiating team for their success. My admiration to all my fellow picketers for hanging in there, and prevailing. (Okay, this is going to start sounding like a credit roll...) Thank you Laurence for your encouragement and company on the line, also Ron for your excellent conversation and for buying me those fries, and Kent, whose wit I sometimes stole for the purposes of this blog. Kathy, it was great hanging out with you again, and John, and Carlos, and Ian, thanks for the use of your hat, and Dave the Picket Marshall, you were cool, and I know it's foolish to do this because you always leave someone out, and if I did, I apologize, feel free to curse at me in the comments section.

Aigle, you really are the coolest blogger (and Happy Birthday, by the way!), John Gushue, you had all the info when I needed it and thanks for the links. Ouimet, you are one of us, more than human (although if I find out you really are a cat I won't be the least bit surprised, you certainly have the necessary poise and dignity). Tessa, thanks for the encouragement via your reduxes, they kept me motivated. Drone, it pissed me off every time the subject of blogs came up on the line and yours was the first name out of everybody's mouth, but there's a reason for that, your posts never failed to be compelling. Robin, you da man, your posts rocked. Justin Beach, Cindy, Cold Feet, Tom, Jennifer, Shoot Both Sides, Philly, Dan, and on and on and on, it was great blogging with you all. And we all know Tod's a God... amen. Thanks Tod. Again, sorry if I left anybody out, feel free to curse at me in the comments section if I did.

Leaving you for last, Matt, you get special mention, because folks, Matt really spurred me on, it's hard keeping up with Matt quality wise because he's a funny, funny man and a damned good friend. Thanks Matt. You didn't have to hit the line but you did anyway. I'm looking forward to working with you again.

I gotta thank my wife and kids, too, for putting up with me on the computer all the time. It became an obsession, one that frankly I'm happy to let go for a bit.

Now (deep breath)... I feel that I have to take ownership of my words, that if I don't pin a name to them they'll mean little or nothing. I sincerely hope that they were a positive force in the universe, that they helped people, and our cause. I don't think I ever wrote anything mean-spirited, and if I was ever harsh or angry it's because, well, I was feeling harsh or angry, I take nothing back. If anybody holds anything against me as a result of this blog... well, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Let the chips fall where they may.

Best to you all.

Regards,

Joe Mahoney
CBC Radio A&E





11 Comments:

Blogger Matt Watts said...

Thanks Joe... Made me cry.

:)

2:23 PM  
Blogger Aigle De Nuit said...

Nice photo Joe. I'm going to miss this but will surely end up writing somewhere else.

Now does everybody see why John Lithgow should play him?

You are one class act and you inspired me.

High-fives on the inside.

Michelena

4:21 PM  
Blogger Ouimet said...

Hi Joe!

What a cute babyface!

I'm going to miss the blog.

See you back on the inside.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

Joe,

It was a pleasure and an honour. Let's all try to keep in touch.

Cindy

6:47 PM  
Blogger Laurence said...

Damn, if I'd known you were THAT ugly, I'd NEVER've walked around the building with you.
You've blown your mystique, Dude!!!!

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this blog. It helped to know someone else was feeling the way I was feeling.

Also thanks for walking with me. My days would have been much longer had you not been around.

Ron

12:51 AM  
Blogger anonymous2199 said...

Joe,
You have a knack for this - I look forward to your new blog. (I'm thinking of doing the same - let's see if procrastination/life/work gets the better of me!)
Thanks so much for, well, being you.
Tessa

9:14 AM  
Blogger oakwriter said...

Splendid send off, Joe! And nice to meet you.

I'll certainly check in from time to time!

Cheers
Tom

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buzz on.

2:33 PM  
Blogger AC@43 said...

I will continue to look forward to reading you else where. To the book .. to the book .. more chapters (not the store the writing)
Stand up and be proud of what you wrote .. I think you inspired a number of people with your truth.
.. damn you have a lot of grey hair .. at least mine is only on one side of my face.
Andrew

2:36 PM  
Anonymous jenkew said...

*raises a glass of scotch for Joe*

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home