My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Friday, September 23, 2005

To Sleep, Perchance to Picket...


Relaxin' on the line...

For some reason I didn't really look forward to picketing ten hours today.

Go figure.

A friend said to me today, "You know, I'm surprised you aren't one of the people blogging this whole thing."

I had to laugh.

There was lots of good news on the line today, which left me feeling optimistic. I got into an argument with one of the security guards about when this thing'll all be over; he was rather less optimistic than me. I said two weeks from today we'll be looking at ratification. He said no way this thing'll be over in less than a month. So I caught him by surprise with a flurry to the solar plexus, decked him with a left, and as he lay there on the ground squealing like a stuck pig, I said, "Is that "no way this thing'll be over in less than a month" enough for ya?

Ever since I been the Champ.

Okay, maybe I've been listening to too much Q-107, not to mention been picketing too long today.

But the conversation did raise an interesting question. To wit, how long will the ratification process take? If any CMG officials (or even that Anton from Toronto guy) happen to read this, would you mind taking a moment to explain to this poor uninformed picketer how that all works? My security guard pal insisted that the process would take all of two weeks. I can't believe that. My questions are, once a deal is reached, what exactly happens then? How long does the voting take? And how long until we are back inside, assuming the deal is ratified?

I look forward to your response...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a difficult question because this is not a strike. At any point the CBC can unlock the doors.
I understand that the CBC will not do this.
Once there is a deal, it would have to be printed (maybe translated) in some form. Printing won't take long, but translating could.
Then there must be meetings everywhere to explain the deal and a secret ballot.
Let's try to estimate: d-day the contract is done; d-day plus 1 it is ready and on its way to the members. Say day 2-5 for meetings (it could be longer); Day 6 & 7 for the vote; Day 8 and 9 to count.
There would have to be a return to work deal as well.
For example what shows will be on the different networks (remember this is traditionally season change, patricularly in TV). In units that don't work 9-5, who works what shift? Remember all the schedulers are also out. Say day 10 & 11 for that.
So it could be a while.
Of course the CBC could make it go quicker if they accept the bargaining committee's recomendation to accept the deal and open the door. But don't hold your breath for that!

1:12 AM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Thanks for that... any official CMG word on it? Or better yet, any official CBC management word on how they would handle it? Anyone? Anyone?

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another spin might be....cbc won't open the doors without a ratification vote. That could be in done in three days or ten days, to be negotiated. I'm sure saying it will take 10 days is a negotiating position as I'm sure no opening the doors before a vote is a negotiating position. Let's hope they settle on 3 or 4 days.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not a show of good faith and bring us back NOW.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home