My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Scabs R Us

John Gushue reports:

"A company hired by the CBC to co-ordinate a broadcast Friday for the Terry Fox anniversary has been approaching retired CBC workers, according to the Canadian Media Guild."

Check out John's site for more info.

I remember the last couple of times out some of my former colleagues, who had quit the corp for one reason or another, did struck work. It was difficult to comprehend, especially given that many of these guys had spent time on the picket line in past labour disputes. I have friends now who still refuse to have anything to do with these people, won't even look at them (let alone speak to them) because they crossed the picket line (some of them have returned to work for the corp, others we meet in the street).

Although I regret that these people did this, I'm not good at sustained anger... it's not healthy, and I prefer to place people over ideals. Just the same, I understand where the anger comes from. If you cross the picket line, you're taking money out of my pocket. You're partially responsible should I lose my house or have trouble feeding my family.

Which reminds me. In case you didn't know, there is more than one kind of picket line. In the type of work we do, there exist electronic picket lines. Don't do interviews by line or by phone. There's also a snail mail picket line. Somebody e-mailed me just this evening to ask if it's appropriate to mail a CD to the broadcast centre during the dispute. I informed them that it's not. Consciousness raised, they assured me that they wouldn't.

So... please don't cross the picket line. Any picket line.

I may still talk to you afterward... but I won't really like you.

4 Comments:

Blogger janinsanfran said...

Just want to wish you all the best. You folks are a great demonstration of solidarity to those of us who labor in the States -- where solidarity is very weak indeed.

9:53 PM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Thanks Jan... much appreciated. Good luck in all your struggles.

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really make it seem really easy together with
your presentation but I find this matter to be really one thing which I feel I would never understand.

It kind of feels too complex and extremely wide for me. I'm having a look ahead for your subsequent post, I will try to get the hang of it!

my web page: tucson medical weightloss

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're truly a excellent webmaster. The web site loading pace is amazing. It seems that you're doing any distinctive trick.
In addition, The contents are masterwork. you have done a
magnificent task in this subject!

Here is my web blog :: weight loss programs

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home