My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Moved to Blog

When I first started blogging the lockout there were about twelve bloggers doing the same. That was at the beginning of week two. Now, according to at least one source, there are over fifty. Not all of them are active; many of them post once a week, if at all. Still, the Blog Redux People have their work cut out for them keeping up with it all. Of the bloggers that do post semi-regularly, everybody has a different approach. Some goofy, some hostile, some serious, some ambivalent, some over the top, some poetic. I won't say who I consider what, just that I respect them all.

Myself, I think I'm somewhere between reflective and rhetorical, probably erring on the side of too earnest sometimes. I try to make the odd point. I try to present any new information I happen to uncover. But mostly I just try to stay on topic, although sometimes I fail miserably, such as in this post. What are ya gonna do.

The problem is it's been awhile since I've been out to picket. Usually I come back from the line brimming with posts; I'll be picketing sixteen hours on Friday... with any luck that will generate a few good posts, not to mention several blisters, and perhaps a few good pics as well.

Sometimes I catch myself wishing I was one of them journalistic types, with perhaps a bit more time on my hands, capable of creating such amazingly comprehensive sites as Tod Maffin's, or as insightful and informative as that of Robin Rowland's (his current post notwithstanding). But alas I am not a journalist per se, or even pro bono, let alone obscurum per obscurius.

And so it is that I fling myself violently out of bed in the middle of the night, troubled by the sure and certain knowledge that I really have to pee. And as I stand there, peeing, I ask myself the hard questions. I mean the really hard ones, such as: why do I have to pee so much at night? And then: what is the point of blogging? After which I rouse myself in the morning, pee again, then stare at the computer for an inordinate amount of time, digesting other locked out workers' posts. Wondering if any of us are having any impact.

I confess I find it odd that my blog gets so many hits, and yet so few comments. Am I on target? Or considered a nut? Beneath contempt, perhaps? Are people annoyed that I'm anonymous? Is it any wonder that I'm anonymous after paragraphs like that last one? Sheesh!

And yet I continue to blog. It's good to see so many other lockout blogs. It's a healthy blogosphere, very little in the way of chlorofluorocarbons so far.

Keep 'em comin'.

16 Comments:

Blogger Laurence said...

You're 'fishing' again!
I read your stuff regularly. And you KNOW that.
But I have to be motivated to 'answer back'. I'm not sure what that motivation might be but 'Ouimet' seems to have figured it out. There's a VERY healthy conversation going on over there.
So, maybe it's just 'ask questions'. Or 'Start a good debate'.
Anyone else out there with thoughts on this?
See you Friday!
(Bring the 'Depends')

Laurence

7:14 p.m.  
Blogger pary bell said...

Don't you find it a little ironic that you are posting an anonymous blog yet you do not allow anonymous comments?

That may explain why you are not getting the volume of comments you are looking for...

9:12 p.m.  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Hi Pary,

That's true, but I allowed anonymous comments for a while and got a slew of spam. I was afraid if I continued to allow the spam it would drown out other traffic.

Also, I'm a big fan of irony.

But perhaps I'll try allowing it again for awhile.

9:15 p.m.  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Hi Laurence,

Thanks for the "Depends" advice... that's gonna make all the difference! :-)

Yeah, you're right, I was fishing, but I have to say I'm growing genuinely curious. Whether we're having an effect as bloggers depends a lot on who's reading us. If it's only us bloggers reading ourselves, well a lot of good that's gonna do. Are managers reading us? Entertainment columnists? Senior management? The Canadian public? How do we know?

Unless we can get some of them to identify themselves. I'll continue to blog just the same, though, to increase our collective morale if nothing else.

9:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy your blog, you post faithfully, and have interesting insights. I read you every day.

11:54 p.m.  
Blogger oakwriter said...

Reflective blogs make people go, hmm, okay, and then move on. Which is fine. Really funny ones like Matt's and Pedro's become cultural currency. And the solid ones like Robin's are helpful. But I agree with what Laurence says about getting a reaction. Journalists like to stir it up, right? Inform. Provoke. Debate. Ouimet. You know that line by Tom Cochrane (who studied journalism, incidentally): "A fighter really bleeds when he must hang up his gloves."

Tom

12:00 a.m.  
Blogger oakwriter said...

Oh yes, and I should add, I visit yours regularly. I dig it. I've just been shy because I'm new. No one knows who the hell I am. :-)

12:03 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read, but have never commented because I'd rather be anonymous. So there you go.

1:01 a.m.  
Blogger Aigle De Nuit said...

Hey Bee!

I have no idea why I do it either...(the word "groupies" springs to mind...*wow* ;) But I just know I need to, and I'm really thankful that nobody involved has tried to censor me.

Maybe CBC just attracted a bunch of people who never became writers, but felt the need to be "part of it" and, all of a sudden, we were.

Coolsville! Don't overthink, just enjoy. Ya think we'll be allowed to write after all this??

I'll be there on Friday, around 9 making sure a friend(really)gets a proper and respectful 2 minutes...after that, later in the day (sun problems) Please Buss over and say hello.

But keep writing. I, for one, need your posts! (if only to proove that I'm not insane at 02:43)

2:42 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah,

Just have fun. I blog because my project was halted just as it was taking off. I am a writer and have other projects, but this keeps me connected to CBC, which just feels good.

oakwriter (I thought I'd spare everyone my mug this time)

8:54 a.m.  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Thanks oakwriter, aigle, and anonymouses. :-)

9:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Hi,
Don't worry whether people are writing you ... they're reading you. At least I am. I've never blogged and this is my first response to one, but they've been my lifeline during the lockout. I try to share with my friends and family what it feels like to be locked out, but they don't really get it - how could they - so I enjoy reading how other people across the country are coping. And since I'm in Toronto, I go to yours regularly. It's a good distraction, and a good reminder you're not the only one trying to figure this thing out.

9:45 a.m.  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Thanks Jennifer. I've started putting my money where my mouth is, posting comments in other blogs I'm reading, to encourage my fellow bloggers to keep up the good work.

12:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I, a member of the public, am reading your blog semi-regularly. I have been a faithful CBC Radio listener for years (but I don't watch TV). I can't wait to get my radio back.

2:31 p.m.  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Thank you, anon. We're doing our best to get it back for you! (And for us...)

2:36 p.m.  
Anonymous shemale lesbian stories said...

``Way I see it, no one has broken any laws. Everyone wins.
gay trucker sex stories
free gay first time stories
femdom wife stories
free adult stories xxx
caught wife masturbation stories
``Way I see it, no one has broken any laws. Everyone wins.

11:57 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home