My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Saturday, September 24, 2005

More Ratification Questions

It just occurred to me (based on past experience, which I've largely blocked out of my memory) that there should be no picketing once an agreement is reached, and during the ratification process. So the downside is we still don't get full pay 'til we're back inside, but the plus is we should continue to get picket duty pay, but without having to picket.

Again, this is merely speculation on my part; I'd really like someone in the know (in an official capacity) to chime in on how it will work exactly. I suppose there might be some reluctance on CMG's part to contribute to such a discussion, as it might serve only to get people's hopes ups only to be dashed when this latest Knight in Shining Armour stumbles and falls off his horse. But it will all have to be sorted out eventually, so we may as well know now.

I imagine also that (as anonymous indicated earlier) neither side knows exactly how it will work until they sort it out amongst themselves. But surely some stuff (such as do we get paid for not picketing during the ratification process) must already be known.

Anton from Toronto, where art thou?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I aam not an offcial, but I asked someone who is one; albeit a minor one.
The answer is pickets stay up til we go back.
So you will have to march but you will get paid by the union.
Also remember it could be as long as 3 weeks before we see a regular pay from CBC.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've asked that question too.
We picket until an agreement is ratified. And yes, you will continue to get your lockout pay.

9:39 PM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

They say there are no stupid questions, but there are, and I ask them: why picket once we have an agreement? Yes, I know it might not be ratified (in which case we place the pickets back up). Understand that I'm not opposed to picketing until it's ratified, I'm just asking why is it necessary, what makes it a good idea (as opposed to simply union tradition)?

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i suppose not picketing sends a message - the message being, that the membership will do as instructed by the union and vote yes, therefore picketing isn't required.
so for if democratic process of ratification is supposed to be visible - we can't appear like it's over until it's ACTUALLY over.
however - i'm hoping that since our strike mandate has expired anyway, that the corporation, in a show of good faith, unlocks the doors and lets us back in during ratification - which they CAN do.
we've got a long way to go to heal the rift between us and managment but that wouldn't be a bad start.

2:58 AM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

I think the right thing to do would be to let us back in after an agreement is reached. However, I don't think the strike mandate has necessarily expired. Robin Rowland said this on the matter:

"In an earlier post I reported that the Canadian Media Guild's strike mandate expired on September 8. It would have expired--if management had not ordered the lockout. Under a Canadian Industrial Relations Board ruling when the CBC locked out its Quebec employees, a lockout voids the best before date on a strike vote."

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple logic here,
Doors Locked = Pickets Up

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home