My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Latest Offer

Well, I've taken a good look at this much vaunted latest offer, studied it closely for a good two, three seconds, and the verdict is...

... hell if I know. That's what negotiating committees are for. They've spent months and months studying this thing and I expect they can tell at a glance if it's what we're looking for.

If it isn't a good contract, then we must stay the course. I haven't picketed for the last seven weeks for a lousy deal. We've won the public relations war hands down, now we need only hang in there.

For what it's worth, the negotiating team has the complete support of this blogger. I would like to see them secure a deal that will leave me feeling like the last few weeks have meant something. Something other than anxiety attacks and blistered feet. I know we'll never make up the lost income. But it sure would be nice to go back inside with the kind of warm, rosy glow that accompanies having drunk just a bit too much of your favourite single malt scotch. That, and the sure and certain knowledge that you've made some bastard pay for screwing you around.

***

It's starting to get a little chilly at night, and I've heard some people talking about setting up those old oil barrels around the Broadcast Centre. For the love of God, don't do it! For the following reasons:

1. I'm already slowly dying from having breathed the creosote soaked wood burned the last two times out.

2. They stink.

3. From what I understand, the man largely responsible for procuring them last time is now a manager on the inside

4. They stink, they really do, you'll have to throw your jackets and clothes out afterward, trust me on this one

5. You can achieve the same effect by simply dressing warmly (yeah, I know I'm a smart ass)

Mind you, if you can find some "artificial" oil barrels (like those artificial gas fireplaces) then be my guest. If they don't exist, perhaps somebody ought to invent them.

7 Comments:

Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Anonymous posted this elsewhere... I've copied it here:

"negociators negociate,ei.. (sic) give and take;
MEMBERS ratify,so according to you the members will agree to anything because we are all "good little sheeps".LOL

9:51 PM


cbcworkerbee said...
You have me there; you're quite right that we can't let the negotiating committee do all of our thinking for us. Now is the time for us to support the negotiating committee, and not negotiate behind their backs, as it were. When it comes time to ratify, however, then we must put on our thinking caps and think for ourselves.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Wayfaring Stranger said...

If there ever is a time for unquestioning support for the CMG negotiating team, that time is now. This is the critical moment. This is when "the wheels fall off the bus". All that has been gained. . . how this "labour disruption" has galvanized this group of the employees into a "union" . . . We are "walking the walk" and "talking the talk". Let's not throw that all away. This is when we need that solidarity more than ever. Keep faith in your representatives.

On another note: If we were meant to keep warm standing around "smoke barrels" we would be doing it all the time. Please no fire barrels.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Aigle De Nuit said...

I'm there and after week 2 I knew I was in for a pfenning/in for a pound but I have to disagree with you (finally) on one thing, Bee.

Clothing ain't the same as a fire.

I've pulled out the silk and wool and leather for Friday's overnight but I want the damn oilcan! If anything it will re-inforce the attitude that we'll go the distance.

11:21 AM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Hey Aigle,

Well, I appreciate your support on all the other stuff. :-)

Yeah, I know some folks loved the oil cans. It's the stuff that's burned in them that I have a problem with. I love campfires; if we can burn decent firewood in clean cans that's one thing. But the stuff we burned in them the last two times out was (I believe) literally toxic. You didn't want to be breathing that stuff in, and I know people that threw out clothing that they could not get the stench out of.

But here's hoping this thing is resolved before it becomes an issue.

12:58 PM  
Blogger TribbleKat said...

You can build a better burn barrel. I hope that this won't be necessary, but if it is, contact SPEEA or IAM in the U.S.(the engineers' and machinists' unions, both of whom have members who work at Boeing).

They designed a nifty burn barrel that has a closed top and a chimney. These give off less smoke (and more heat) for the amount of stuff burned, and are less polluting. (They're also a bit safer for those of us who are clumsy.)

If you have to stand around a burn barrel, you want one of these.

5:01 PM  
Blogger TribbleKat said...

P.S.: I think we burned wood and paper in those burn barrels.

5:01 PM  
Blogger TribbleKat said...

P.P.S.: Also, you might think about having the supplies for a couple of these things on standby so that if management decides to screw with you again, you can immediately head into Simcoe Park to start banging some barrels together.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home