My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Big Bad Board

People are freaking out about The Board's statement backing Rabinovitch.

It doesn't mean a whole lot.

The Board does not outrank Rabinovitch... he's not accountable to the Board... and he's pals with the Board. So they wouldn't do anything about him anyway, even if they were so inclined, which they're not.

The statement is just an exercise in solidarity. They're just closing ranks for the benefit of the public. I don't imagine they all support Rabinovitch one hundred percent behind closed doors; they just feel they have to in public.

My favourite sentence in the statement is this: "One of the issues that has attracted most attention, the employment of contract staff, in our view, has been seriously misunderstood and misrepresented."

They're actually right about this one. It has been seriously misunderstood ( by the Board) and misrepresented (by Bobby himself).

Yep... I'm afraid the odds of the Board having received an unbiased view of this situation are about as likely as my wife being impressed upon finding me on the computer when she gets home from work tonight, which should be any minute now (he wrote typing really really fast)...

But the most important reason why (I feel) this statement means nothing is that, ultimately, it is not the Board that is going to hold Rabinovitch and his cronies accountable. Nor will it be you or me; sadly, we will have as much clout when we get back inside as a lobster in a fishing boat (except in a fiercely passive aggressive kind of way).

No, it will be the Opposition parties in Parliament that are going to call for Rabinovitch's head, and perhaps his neck and shoulders too, backed by portions of the Canadian media and the Canadian public. If they do so vigorously enough, and if Martin has wit and character enough (big "ifs" I grant you) then we may live to see that sonuvarabinovitch turfed someday in the not too distant future.

Mind you, turfing people like Rabinovitch and his cronies is nothing more than a game of musical chairs at best, involving lofty positions in other, less public institutions, along with platinum pensions and swank country retreats.

And then of course there's the question of his replacement.

But you'll be happy to know that I've already spoken to Mr. P. about that.

2 Comments:

Blogger ------ said...

Actually, I was quite dismayed by the board's response. Thanks for your posting. It put it in perspective for me. I'm not so troubled now.

10:24 PM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

Glad it helped. Frankly, I'm much more dismayed by the lack of chocolate in this house.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home