My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Struck Work

Apparently last week a well-liked manager did a bit of a bad thing. He took a CBC Record's gig -- a gig that was to be done by CBC staff -- outside the corporation and recorded the session with a non-CBC recording engineer. The non-CBC recording engineer was a friend of a CBC employee currently on the picket line. The gig went forth in an IATSE hall, with AF of M musicians, which begs the question: Huh?

The Guild was alerted to the situation but did not send picketers to protest the recording. Which begs the question yet again: Huh? The manager in question defended his actions by saying that if he hadn't gone ahead it would have cost the corporation many thousands of dollars. Staff in his department currently on the picket line were not happy with either him or the Guild's response. In their opinion he should have cancelled or postponed the recording, and when he didn't, the Guild should have sent picketers.

The lock out continues to take its toll on friendships, a lock out that increasingly begs the question: Huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger Littlejohn said...

It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and say the Union should have done this or that. But you should have been involved or motivated enough to effect the results. Quit yer whinning?
In reality, the union is only as active as you are, so get off yer duff and do it. If you are already up to your neck in being busy, one of the most destructive blows to moral is someone in leadership blowing off steam about someone elses jurisdiction.

4:44 PM  
Blogger cbcworkerbee said...

I am no more obligated to support the union unconditionally -- a union that has betrayed me twice --than I am to support CBC management. It happens that I do not sit on the sidelines; I picket at least twenty hours a week AND I cover the lockout with this blog, with a large pro union bias despite the odd criticism. Had I known about this incident in time I might well have done something about it. You'll note that I've done something in retrospect; I brought it to everyone's attention.

Make no mistake, I DO support this union. But like CBC management, my wife, myself, my friends, and everyone else on this planet, it is not beyond reproach, and should not bristle at the occasional bit of constructive criticism.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home