My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Only We Can Kill Us

Reading over other people's blogs and talking to people on the line, I see that people are smoking a lot. Maybe they had resolved to smoke less back when things were cool; maybe they had managed to quit altogether. Now, not only are they smoking again, they are smoking more.

I don't care if you smoke, I really don't. It's your business, and to tell you the truth I actually like the smell of second hand smoke, so that doesn't bug me. I've never been a smoker, so I can't pretend to understand the nature of the addiction; it's probably way more powerful than I can imagine. The closest I can come to understanding it is this: if somebody told me tomorrow that I had to steer clear of chocolate, I don't know if I could do it. I really don't think that I could. In fact I will probably eat some right after this post. Just a little bit. A tiny little bit. And then maybe a bit more.

I understand that it's none of my business, and that you can do with your body whatever you please. You have every right to tell me to piss off and I will, I will never mention it again. And the only reason I bring it up is because somebody close to me recently died of lung cancer and the memory of it is fresh in my mind. It was horrible, the effect on them and the effect on those around them, and now whenever I see somebody with a cigarette, or a cigarello (you know who you are), I think of my friend dying horribly of lung cancer. That's all.

Yes, I know that I'm a hypocrite, and that I'm going to get diabetes with all the chocolate and wind up on insulin, blind with no legs. I understand that. Nobody likes a lecture and I'm sorry, I'm sorry for lecturing.

But I'd like to point something out. The reason you're smoking again, and the reason you're smoking more, is because of CBC senior management (I almost typed "CBC senile management"... think I might be on to something there)... senile management has just gone a way out of their way to make your life miserable, and my point is this: it's bad enough that they've locked us out. Must we allow them to kill us as well?

We need to take care of ourselves during this ridiculous situation. We need to go easy on the donuts and comfort food. We need to hang on to our resolve, not just to survive the lockout, but to survive it with our bodies and spirits intact.

Senile management may be able to lock us out. But only we can kill us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home